Simple Paint Thinner Safety Tips

paint thinner safety

Paint thinner is an oil-based paint and is often used to clean paint from tools and surfaces but it is a toxic chemical. Toxic chemicals like paint thinner are harmful to animals and people and serious medical illness can set in if you inhale or ingest it. A lot of people use paint thinner to clean off their hand or leg if paint gets on it and do not think of the safety concerns this poses. Paint thinners need to be used in a proper manner and also need to be disposed of properly to ensure your safety as well as the safety of other people. If you are going to be using paint thinner then you might want to follow some easy tips to keep you safe while using this toxic chemical.

The first thing you want to do if you are using paint thinner is to wear safety equipment while handling this product. Safety glasses and solvent-resistant gloves and shoes need to be put on before you open the container of paint thinner. You want to make sure your eyes are protects as well as your skin from the possible splashes of paint thinner. You should also be wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants while working with paint thinner to protect your skin from the paint thinner if it splashes on you while you are working with it. The safety glasses will help with unintended splashes that might occur and will also protect your eyes from the fumes of the paint thinner.

Working in good ventilated areas is something else you need to do if you are using paint thinner. Since paint thinner gives off fumes the best thing you can do is prevent those fumes from making you sick by using them in well ventilated areas. The paint thinner can make you feel nauseous as well as dizzy and can give you a headache or respiratory problems. Windows and doors should be open and you should also use fans to circulate the air during the time you are using the paint thinner. If it is at all possible, only use paint thinner outdoors so that you do not have to open windows and doors in your house for circulation.

You should also keep paint thinner away from acidic materials because it can cause a huge chemical reaction. Never mix the paint thinner with anything other than paint because explosive reactions can occur. Paint thinner is designed to be used only with paint and if you are using other chemicals with paint thinner then you are putting yourself and everyone around you in danger.

Paint thinner is also combustible so it should not be anywhere near explosive or other combustible materials. Liquids and heaters could spark a deadly chemical explosion if it comes into contact with paint thinner so make sure you place the paint thinner in a separate area. Smoking should also be avoided while you are using paint thinner due to the possibility of an explosion which could kill you. If the end of your cigarette falls off near the paint thinner then this could cause a serious deadly reaction and it would start a fire with flames that you could not control.

It goes without saying but you should also never eat near the area where paint thinner is located and never eat while you are using the paint thinner. Paint thinner could be splashed onto your food items without you knowing it and just a little bit in your food could make you really sick. Ingesting paint thinner is a very bad idea and if you do not know you ingested it then it could cause serious internal problems.

Since paint thinner is a hazardous chemical, you should always dispose of this chemical in a safe manner. There are rules in regulations in place that say you should not dispose of paint thinner down a drain or in the trash can because of the hazard it causes. Paint thinner needs to be disposed of properly and you can find that information on the side of the paint thinner.

When you are using paint thinner you should also keep the container closed tightly and stored in a proper location. If you do not put the lid on the paint thinner properly, then you could be potentially leaking fluids and this could cause a safety hazard. Store the paint thinner up high on a shelf where children and small pets can not get to it.

Thank you for reading this article! If you have any further questions about this topic please contact us.